Friday’s Five – Tasty, healthy and EASY horse show food ideas
Horse show food is not usually the tastiest, it is rarely healthy and it is always overpriced. Instead of spending money on dreadful horse show food this season, you should make your own. It can be quick and simple to prepare your own food and bring it to your events. Try these easy and delicious recipes this competition season:
1) Red pepper, goat cheese, and fresh mint wraps – These make for the perfect lunch on a hot show day. They are both filling and refreshing. Make them the night before your show, pack them in zip lock bags and throw them in a cooler.
- Goat cheese
- Fresh mint
- Spinach tortillas
- Bottled roasted red bell peppers
2) Tangy cucumber and avocado salad – This salad is dead simple to make, tastes great and is good for feeding a group. Just make it before you leave for your competition pack it in a big Tupperware container and put it in the cooler.
- 2 medium cucumbers
- 2 avocados
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Lime
- Fresh cilantro
- Garlic clove
- Green onions
3)Strawberry and cream cheese sandwich – Satisfy your sweet tooth with this four ingredient sandwich. I love this sandwich for breakfast it is filling and very appetizing, which is great if you are feeling the queasy effects of show nerves. Another great thing about this sandwich is it is so quick to prepare you can make it at the last minute, before heading to a show. This sandwich will keep best in a baggie in your cooler but if it is a cool day it will keep fine just sitting inside your truck.
- Reduced fat cream cheese
- Thin sliced whole wheat bread
4) Quinoa salad with artichokes and parsley – This salad tastes so gourmet you will feel weird eating it at a horse show. Quinoa is incredibly healthy so you will feel no guilt after eating it; unlike with typical horse show food. It keeps great so you can make it a few days before your show and store it in your fridge. Before you jump in your truck to head to your competition, take the container it is in out of the fridge and bring it with you in a cooler.
- Olive oil
- 1 sweet onion
- 1 lemon
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh parsley
- 9 ounce package of frozen artichoke hearts
- Chicken broth
5) Picnic chicken salad sandwiches – This is a classic, it is hard to beat a chicken salad sandwich and this recipe quick and oh so tasty. You can even make the chicken salad a few days before your show and keep it in the fridge. Then before you leave, slap some sandwiches together, bag them and put them in your cooler.
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Condensed 98% Fat Free Cream of Celery Soup
- Chopped cooked chicken
- 1 small onion
- Sesame seed hamburger buns
- Romaine lettuce
- Tomato slices
Make it a goal to try all of these recipes this event season!